Thursday, January 10, 2008

Introduction

Welcome to my blogspot! My name is Bianca and I have dedicated this page to my interest in how the media manipulates the people on television with secret techniques such as airbrushing in order to make them appear "perfect." So, with my title, I am revealing that the media's secret weapon is airbrushing, also known as digital alterization. By doing this they are tricking people into beleiving it is real which results in people setting unrealistic goals. I find it intriguing how the media truly impacts the society into believing that one must look a certain way to be beautiful and desirable. Sex is used to advertise almost anything and everything, from alcoholic beverages to fast food chains! These gorgeously sculpted bodies that are used to sell have all been digitally altered and are totally fake. I find it disturbing how these images are created and then people assume that they are real. This portrayal of women that the media has created has a huge impact on people all over the world, especially women. Popular magazines such as Cosmopolitan and Vogue feature only ultra-thin women who they create into barbie dolls. What people refuse to realize is that this is all so fake. The pictures are taken by professionals and then airbrushed and edited to erase every single imperfection until the model appears flawless. In my opinion this is quite ridiculous, because people are doing everything to look like these “fake people.” Eating disorders are more common now than they have ever been before, in the fifties, Marilyn Monroe who was a voluptuous size eight, was the ideal. Today they are creating a size double zero! That is insane! I feel this issue is quite important because people need to know that the media does not always reveal the truth, and although this sells and is extremely eye-catching, people need to know what is going on behind the scenes so that they do not get caught up in all the falsified glamour.

No comments: